Tuesday, July 20, 2010

manure


Neighbours say this vine has the best grapes ever. So I thought I'd better do the decent thing and give it some food and a prune. Buried 4 dead possums under it (grapes love blood and bone) and took off several years growth. As you can see it is a very old vine so we are looking forward to trying the grapes - that's if it survives such a hard pruning.

Next is the passionfruit vine but I think I will leave that till September when it is a bit warmer, but before the new growth gets too big. They are very heavy feeders so I plan to give it a treat with lots of compost and mulch with sheep manure mixed in.

We are lucky to have lots of animal manure available to us - mind you, it takes quite a bit of work to access it. There are cow pats in the paddock next door, and we have 4 sheep who I go around behind with a bucket and spade every few days. All chook manure gets raked out and put in a drum with water then fed as liquid manure. Comfry is good too but I'm a bit short of that after the chooks scratched out all my small ones. WE have a composting toilet too that gets mixed with sawdust and used around native trees when completely broken down. Amazing how people cringe at that, but it really is no different from waste from any other animal. I knew someone once who grew his pumpkins under his dog kennels - I draw the line there I have to admit. Too gross even for me. But you get my point.

No comments:

Post a Comment