Monday, August 2, 2010

Eggy surprise



Eeek! Just to emphasise the fact that my 5 year old grandson has a better grasp of social media than I have, I managed to give the wrong link to this blog to "Get Growing" who generously published my blog address. Well, with their 22,000 readers each week, I was pretty sure that I would get at least one follower, so I was alerted by that little sentence that says "no followers yet" (sigh)

So I have asked them if they would consider re-publishing it, but I think I'm pushing it to tell you the truth!

And no I haven't come up with a new eggy recipe for you, though I'm sure I could if the garden would just stop calling me. Instead I'm sharing this morning's surprise with you: my one-big-brown-egg-a-day-each chooks suddenly went off the lay and actually I was pleased in a way because I have been telling them to slow down a bit. They aren't looking too flash at the moment and I think a couple of them are laying themselves to death. As if one egg a day is not enough, we get double yolkers. The smaller egg in the photo is actually quite a big one - the bigger one is just plain scary.

Today I followed one of the chickens into the bush because they seldom go off on their own and I was a bit suspicious - sure enough, there was the cutest little nest tucked into the fern with 10 eggs in it. Too dark to photograph them in there - that would have been a great photo. I left 2 eggs in the nest so they don't go off and find a new spot to lay tomorrow, and brought the rest home. Today I've left them locked up until they have laid just to remind them to use the lovely little nesting box with fresh hay that is in their pen.

Omelet for lunch.

1 comment:

  1. If only eggs would survive a courier journey... we've not had the funds for free range lately and I imagine free frange from a garden/bush paradise would surpass even just regular roaming chooks!
    Whip us up a pav, won't you?

    ReplyDelete